Watermelon Salad Ideas
Remove rind from watermelon, and place about 1/2” thick slices, wedges, or “pizza” rounds onto serving plates, then add your toppings of choice:
· Greek Salad: scatter with crumbled feta, sliced black olives, and thinly snipped basil ribbons. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
· Cheese, Herbs and Nuts: Top each with a few thin, round slices of fresh mozzarella. Sprinkle with fresh, snipped basil, mint, chopped walnuts and/or almonds. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil or balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
· With Tomato: Cut watermelon into chunks and combine with equal amount tomatoes of mixed-colors, cut into small wedges/chunks or cherry tomato halves. Place in shallow serving bowls or plates and drizzle with a bit of olive oil and white balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Scatter with crumbled feta or soft goat cheese, finely snipped basil (and toasted cashews, if desired).
Also good with beets and tomatoes; substitute mint for basil.
· With Arugula: In a bowl, toss several handfuls of arugula with some watermelon chunks. Whisk together: 2 Tbsp. olive oil and 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, season with salt and pepper and gently toss into arugula and watermelon. Sprinkle with shredded or shaved parmesan.
Super Simple Watermelon & Feta Salad
· With Pepper: Watermelon pairs wonderfully with a dash of black pepper. If you like a little more spice, you could also add a dash of red pepper flakes.
Recipe created or adapted by Liz Talley, Urban Graze
All rights reserved©